• We Are Hiring | Tel: 0800 0488755 |

  • | More Contact Details

  • | Not for Profits click here

How to Catalogue Assets Quickly and Easily

Time, time, time...

When managing a large building clearance, it can often be resource intensive to catalogue exact details and upload a picture of every single asset.

If you have the time available to go into greater detail, this will work in your favour, as it will mean there will be fewer minor problems later.

However, if time resources are limited, it is perfectly acceptable to estimate the number and condition of types of asset throughout the whole building and upload them as one record of that asset type.


Really? This is fine to do?

Sure! You will cause a few issues over the accuracy, but at least you have achieved some reuse!

For example, in a building which housed 250 staff, you can probably estimate the following:

  • 1 record -250x Operator's chairs, various conditions, located in XYZ
  • 1 record - 125 x Left Hand radial desks, various conditions, located in XYZ
  • 1 record -125 Right hand radial desks, various conditions, located in XYZ
  • 1 record-250 Under desk pedestals, various conditions, located in XYZ
  • 1 record - 50 x Whiteboards, various conditions, located in XYZ


Huge time savings!

By acting in this manner, you can upload around 60-80% of your items in bulk. This can be done fairly quickly and easily using the “add another like this function”- see video here. The remaining 40-20% of items should be catalogued with a “walk around”.


Don’t worry if the quantity is wrong

As each asset is claimed, the number of assets available to others reduces until zero is reached. If numbers are estimated and there are actually items left over, the number can then be adjusted as stock gets low, which then will reflect how many items are available more accurately.


Walk around

The next resource efficient way of adding assets is to carry out a walk around. If there are many of the same asset to catalogue, the quickest way to do it is use the Bulk Upload Form. Count using a tally, or 5 bar gate system against each asset. Then upload each entry as one asset i.e. - 250x 1800mm desks.


What if it needs to be exact?

If you desire more accuracy, a scaled down version of this can be done in specific parts of a building. Use the same process but for a wing or specific area of a building.

Alternatively, if there are time and resources available, the best approach is to add as much detail as possible, which prevents minor problems later. Catalogue each asset in each office or room and upload as separate records.


‘Add another like this’ feature

The ‘Add another like this’ feature saves lots of time. When cataloging items, they often share the same parameters. For example, the same start and end date, the same location etc.


Time-saving Top Tips for cataloging assets:

  • When adding assets, use the “Add another like this function” to add the same types of assets together. For example, do all chair type assets, then do all storage type assets. This reduces the need to edit the records too much.


  • For standard assets, which are common across all institutions, there is a no need to upload a picture, instead pick one from the photo library. This saves time.


  • If you do have a photo, before you take the picture make sure that the resolution is not too high. Pictures with a high resolution take longer to upload and a high resolution is not really necessary. If you are uploading lots of records this will save you time.


  • If you manage the resources, move them onto the ground floor and group similar assets together, i.e. pedestals all in one room, desks all in one room, operators chairs in one room.


Was this helpful? If you have any more questions, get in touch with me and daniel@warp-it.co.uk


Stick up a friendly reminder to use

Warp It around your estate

free reuse posters 

Here's another Warp It hack

Use our templates to save time and get ideas!

Free Download

Daniel O'Connor

Daniel O'Connor

I use my time and experience to contribute to the transition to a regenerative sustainable society for all.


Subscribe to our monthly newsletter

  • Here's our newsletter promise and how you will benefit.

Get it in your inbox ;)

By entering your email you expressly consent to receive our newsletter monthly and other material related to Warp It Reuse Network.