It may sound cliched but it’s true – it’s not what you know, but whom you know.There are people in your organisation who have influence over the decisions made in their building or department.
It’s either their role within your organisation or it could be that they’re just very well-networked and respected. Either way, these are people the who other staff look to for guidance, advice or inspiration on what’s going on in your organisation.
If you can get these people on board with your reuse project, then you’ll find yourself in a position where a lot more support and awareness is likely.
So, ask yourself. Are you talking to all the key influencers? How do you find these people? Do you know who they are? Do these decision makers and influencers want to talk to you? Or do they run from you?
The importance of identifying and understanding the roles of all the players, uncovering who the real decision makers and influencers are, and engaging with them strategically for your reuse implementation simply mustn’t be underestimated!
Don’t fret, it really isn’t as daunting as it first seems. Influencers are everywhere if you know where to look!
Here’s a few pointers to get you started:
Ask others in that department who they look to for advice and guidance on organisational matters.
You can do this in a survey or just phone a few people.
1) Put your feelers out and find out who these people are in your organisation.
2) Send them this email template and arrange to meet them.
3) Get them to fully understand the importance of your reuse project and the benefits it offers the building or department. Share case studies. Give them facts.
4) Show and tell them how easy it is to get involved.
5) Then get their agreement to share your reuse message and become a champion of the cause!
Download the email template to send to influencers!